• Emergencies: 999
  • All other calls: 612612
  • Contact us
+ Navigation

Criminal record checks

Subject to certain exemptions, you have a right to be told whether any information is held about you on police systems, and you also have a right to a copy of that information.

This is called a subject access request.

Previous convictions

If you've been asked about previous convictions for employment reasons, then the Rehabilitation of Offenders (Jersey) Law 2001 may give guidance about this, especially if they are old convictions. You can find a guide to this law on the States of Jersey website, which may help you decide what you should or shouldn't disclose, or whether it can be legally asked of you.

Recruitment of people with a criminal record on States of Jersey website

Subject access requests

You can apply to find out what information, if any, is held about you on one or both of the following:

  • local computer systems
  • the Police National Computer System 

You'll only be able to get this information if you can prove your identity. You must also pay a fee for your subject access application.

Submitting your application: fees and documents 

The cost of a subject access application is £10 to check one of the systems listed above, or £20 for a combined check (both systems listed above). 

You should enclose copies of 2 official documents with your application. These will help to prove your identity and should show your personal details, including name, signature, date of birth and current address. An official document might include:

  • driving licence
  • passport
  • birth / adoption certificate

You can find more information in the guidance notes and application form, which you can download below. You should return your completed application to the address on the form.

Pdf Download criminal record check (subject access) application form (size 36kb)
Pdf Download criminal record check (subject access) guidance notes (size 13kb)

Police certificates for emigration/visas/work permits/residency

If you need a police certificate to apply for emigration, visas, work permits or residency in:

  • Australia
  • Belgium
  • Canada
  • New Zealand
  • South Africa
  • United States

then you must download an application form for an ACPO Police Certificate from the ACPO website (below). Please don't return the form to us - you should contact  the ACPO Criminal Records Office if you need help.

Criminal Records Office (ACPO website)


Report a Crime

Use our convenient form to help us investigate a crime 

Report a crime


Fancy a career with the States of Jersey Police? Click here for the latest information on how to work for us and what the jobs involve


Our Force Control Rooms take thousands of calls every year, and are often asked very similar questions. In this section you will find some of those that are frequently asked

Accessing information

In this section are details on how to obtain criminal record checks, firearms certificates as well as other information.